Download our Visitation Policy and Procedure
POLICY: At times there may be circumstances which restrict Resident visitation, such as pandemic flu or presence of infectious diseases that may require isolation. Florida Statute
408.823, the “No Patient Left Alone Act” requires HEARTHSTONE SENIOR LIVING to implement policy that allows a Resident to have in-person visits by an Essential Caregiver during these circumstances. The visitation policies and procedures required must allow in-person visitation by Essential Caregivers in all of the following circumstances, unless the resident, client, or patient objects:
- 1. End-of-life situation
- 2. A resident, client, or patient who was living with family before being admitted to the provider’s care is struggling with the change in environment and lack of in-person family suppor
- 3. The resident, client, or patient is making one or more major medical decision
- 4. A resident, client, or patient is experiencing emotional distress or grieving the loss of a friend or family member who recently died.
- 5. A resident, client, or patient needs cueing or encouragement to eat or drink which was previously provided by a family member or caregiver.
- 6. A resident, client, or patient who used to talk and interact with others is seldom speaking.
HEARTHSTONE SENIOR LIVING requires the following procedures to comply with the statute.
PROCEDURES: Before in-person visitation, all Essential Caregivers must adhere to the following procedures:
- 1. Sign in upon entering the facility and before interacting with any staff, residents, family members or friend
- 2. Comply with the Infection control and education policies for visito Infection Control policies may require a visitor to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) including properly wear a face mask and other necessary PPE and perform hand hygiene. Staff will provide directions on the proper use of PPE.
- 3. The Visitor shall sign this policy acknowledging an understanding of visitation polic Failure of visitors to adhere to the policy shall result in suspension of in-person visitation.
- 4. Submit to a Screening which may include temperatures and/or a questionnaire about health statu Visitors are NOT required to submit proof of vaccination or immunization.
- 5. Visitation hours will be 9 a. to 9 p.m. as per FS 429.28 (1)(d). Any visitation outside of those hours will be considered upon request to the Administrator. During these hours, in- person visitation by the essential caregiver is allowed for at least 2 hours daily in addition to any other visitation authorized by the provider.
- 6. While minimizing physical contact and social distancing may be encouraged to limit exposure, consensual physical contact between a resident, client, or patient and the visitor is NOT prohibite
- 7. A resident, client, or patient may designate at least two visitors, who is a family member, friend, guardian, or other individual as an essential caregive Additional visitors may be allowed upon request and approval of the Administrator.
- 8. This section does not require an essential caregiver to provide necessary care to a resident, client, or patient of a provider, and providers may not require an essential caregiver to provide such care.
PROCEDURES: HEARTHSTONE SENIOR LIVING in-house procedures include:
- 1. All current residents shall be provided with a copy of the new policy. The Administrator or
Designee shall discuss the policy during the resident monthly meeting.
- 2. Upon admission to HEARTHSTONE SENIOR LIVING the resident or legal representative shall complete the acknowledgement of the policy and shall sign and date the fo A copy of the executed form shall be placed in the resident business file and shall be subject to review upon request.
- 3. The form and policy shall be incorporated into the Resident Handbook and house rules for visitation.
- 4. Staff training on this subject shall be included in the Inservice training for Resident Rights and
- 5. All Essential caregivers shall sign-in to a log sheet understanding that by signing in they agree to follow the visitation policies of HEARTHSTONE SENIOR LIVING.